Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Monitoring Parental Gifts and Curses

Tonight was the first time I used a heart rate monitor. I met with my triathlon training team to measure a baseline to determine my heart rate zones for training and racing. This was crossing a line for me as I have always avoided anything resembling sport science. I have always felt a little bit tough and rebellious in this avoidance. I like to feel tough and rebellious. I have particularly avoid using a heart rate monitor because of being diabetic. I always of played the excuse of avoidance in my father's sort of red-necked swaggering voice, "I already have to measure my blood sugar six times a day so I'll be damned if I measure on more thing." My dad never said this, but it was something he would have said in the same circumstance. Like most of us I am often amazed at my similarities to my parents.
Parents. Today is an odd day for me regarding parents. My biological mother specifically. I am adopted and a little over three years ago I met my biological mother and three brother, but that is another story.
My biological mother has extremely poor health, primarily due to 30+ years of heroin abuse. We are a good argument for the genetic theory of addiction. She called me tonight to let me know that she is in the hospital with a broken leg for the second time this year. Last week she told me that she was recently in the hospital and was diagnosed with emphysema. She has hepatitis C, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure etc. So I have known her for 3 years and I have lost count to the traumatic health events; many of which are glimpses into a very grim possible personal future. There are some major differences, decades more active drug use and lack of vigorous exercise. So, yes, I am apparently hard wired for addiction. We (triathletes, marathoners, anyone freakish about exercise) often joke about our healthy activities being an addiction. Sometimes I hate this line of joking, but I have to recognize that slight element of truth. At least if I get all single minded on this one the prospects look astronomically better than some of the others in my arsenal. Not that I can rely on this one to avoid that one. There is something else for that, but that (again) is another story.

2 comments:

Lee said...

so - what did you think of the HRM?
I'd love to know if you find it helpful over time to pace yourself on long efforts - because I've resisted using mine, it just seems like too much work.

also - do we get one of these stories soon or are you just seeing if we are reading?

Andrew said...

I don't really know yet. I thought of using what I learned last night on our seven mile run tonight, but it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass.