Monday, December 8, 2008

HR Monitors Rock!!

Though I hate how loosely we use the descriptive verb rock * these days, I could not think of a better way to describe my first real experience training using a heart rate monitor. My hope was that keeping an eye on it would help me speed up when I slowed down for no real reason. I hoped that that effort to move back up into some zone would be relatively effortless. Some guy who I swam with twice told me this. I don't even remember his name, but I tend to cling to words that I want to hear regardless of the source.
Well that nameless wiseman was exactly right!! My 15 miles run on Saturday may have not been the fastest I have even run, but it was the strongest for where I was physically at the time. I feel like I really utilized my capability by the awareness of when I was slowing and it really did not take much effort to speed back into the 150s (my training target). Now if I can only exert this force of will over my blood sugar.

* Yngwie Malmsteen opening for Ronnie James Dio in 1985 rocked, getting the stapler to work correctly on a copier does not rock. If you get the musical reference you at least have butt rock leanings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a decent HR monitor. I bought a cheapie thing a couple of years back that was horrid, I couldn't figure it out.

What brand/model do you have?


-Amy Page

Andrew said...

I have a Garmin 405. It does a lot, so it took a while to acclimate to finding what I need.