Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sleepy

Today I am feeling the affects of being a diabetic triathlete. One of the great aspects of exercise is the lowering of blood sugar; however, the dangerous aspect of exercise is the lowering of blood sugar. Whenever I start ramping up activity I am more sensitive to my normal doses of insulin. This is where the trickiness hides.

One of the symptoms of this oversensitivity (yes I'm oversensitive) is night time lows. Waking up with a low is like a really confusing uncomfortable intoxication. I generally waking up from an extremely vivid yet mundane dream. I am generally fairly disoriented, but I also tend to have an autopilot to the kitchen reaction. On the way to the kitchen I stopped to check my glucose level which was 46. When a normal person feels a peckish or hypglycemic their blood sugar is probably around 80. 20 is nearing a coma. Thankfully my reaction is to wake up; not everyone has this reaction. The treatment for this state is food; eaten quickly without grace or poise. I generally think that I look like an underwear clad bulimic having a midnight binge when this happens. I imagine that my friendly yet watchful next door neighbor has seen this and keeps his suspicions to himself. I actually think this every time I have a low; sometimes 2x a week.
After my life saving food binge I often have a lingering headache. Excedrin takes care of this, but it isn't instant. At all takes a while to deal fix and this is why I'm sleepy.

No comments: